What is Pre-Implantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD or PIGD)?
Pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD or PIGD) is a kind of genetic screening procedure Test that detects the presence of certain disease-causing genes. This PGD testing is the best option for couples who have genetic diseases or disorders and want to avoid passing on the same to their child. Anyone of both parents might just be carrying the disease-causing genes can go for the PGD testing. Pre-implantation genetic diagnosis(PGD) is performed as an additional step in the IVF treatment. This test is done just before the embryo is transferred into the womb of the mother.
Facts About Pre-Implantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD or PIGD)
- PGD is a boon for couples with genetic issues.
- PGD tests are strongly recommended to the Couples have a family history of active genetic diseases.
- PGD in India is becoming quite popular with couples who want to rule out genetic abnormalities.
- The world’s first PGD was performed by the Doctor Handyside, Kontogianni and Winston at the Hospital Hammersmith in London, UK.
- PGD became increasingly popular during the 1990s.
- Now PGD raises strong, often conflicting opinions of social acceptability.
- In some countries, including Germany, PGD is permitted for only preventing stillbirths and genetic diseases.
- PGD helps those couples identify embryos carrying a genetic disease.
- PGD is also now used in a disease called multiple hereditary exostoses.
- In a 2006 survey, PGD has been used to select an embryo for the disability, such as deafness, to check child share that characteristic with the parents.
- FISH and m-FISH are the latest technique of PGD testing, which allows for improvement and accuracy of results.
- PGD is also used for genetic issues unrelated to medical necessity, such as intelligence and beauty, and against negative traits such as disabilities.
- The procedure enables couples to pursue biological children who might not have done.