India is the largest country in the South Asia Region, which is filled with many adventures, fun, crazy, history, the beauty of nature and interesting facts. India has rich and multi-layered cultures are dominated by religious and spiritual themes. And India is home to thousands of languages. India prides itself on being the largest democracy on Earth.
Facts on Geography of India:
- India is situated in the continent of South Asia.
- By area, India is the seventh-largest country in the world.
- India is about 13 times bigger than the United Kingdom.
- India has a long coastline. The west coast borders with the Arabian Sea and the east coast borders with the Bay of Bengal.
- India (Bharat) is official short names for the Republic of India.
- It stands the second-most populous country and the most populous democracy in the world.
- The Indus is the longest river in India.
- The very term India is an adaptation of the word Indus.
- There are nine postal zones in India, including eight regional zones and one functional zone.
- India lies to the north direction of the equator between 6° 44′ and 35° 30′ north latitude and lies 68° 7′ and 97° 25′ to the east longitude.
- India is formed by 46 metropolitan cities, and 8 of them are considered as Mega-Cities including Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Kolkata & Surat.
- India international telephone Number code is +91.
- The National Capital Region (NCR) is a central planning region which is the world’s largest agglomeration in India.
- There are 29 states and seven Union territories in India.
- According to research, Indian Railways is the biggest employer in the world.
- Karamchand Uttamchand Gandhi also known as Mahatma Gandhi, is the father of the nation in India.
- India is bordered by Nepal, China to the northeast and Bhutan to the northwest and Burma to the east.
- India pride to offers world-class medical treatments at low costs as compared to other developed countries.
- India is also a trending country for affordable IVF Treatments with high success rate.
Exciting Historical Facts:
Here are some exciting ancient India facts :
- The period of time when India was ruled by Britain is called the British Raj, also called as the Crown rule in India.
- India remained a Dominion of the Crown until 26 January 1950.
- India’s constitution has completed in 1950, and the Dominion of India became the Republic of India.
- The independence leaders of the Indian independence movement are Mahatma Gandhi, Subhash Chandra Bose, Bhagat Singh, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, Bhagat Singh, Bal Gangadhar Tilak, Rani Lakshmibai, Chandrashekhar Azad, Tipu Sultan, Lal Bahadur Shastri, Vallabhbhai Patel and many more.
- The most commonly used system of numerals invented by India and Zero was invented by Aryabhatta.
- The University of Nalanda is an international and research-intensive university located in India
- Major Achievements of the Education Sector in India in the ancient time, i.e. The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century BC and Takshila University in 700BC which is the first university established in World.
- India recognizes six languages as Classical Languages of India are Tamil, Sanskrit, Kannada, Telugu, Malayalam and Odia.
- Indians mathematicians Budhayana who discovered Pythagoras theorem and the value of Pi is 3.14.
- India was the only source of diamonds in the world until 1896.
- Hindi is the natively spoken by about 44% of the population
- Rishikesh is considered as “Yoga Capital of the World”.
- Charaka Samhita referred to as the Father of Indian Medicine (Ayurveda) was first originated in India.
Cultural and Traditions Facts:
- Hinduism is the largest religion in India, about 80% of the population identifying as Hindus in India.
- About 75 % of the population identifies as Hindu, and About 14.2 % of Indians are Muslim.
- The official language of India is Hindi and English
- Jana Gana Mana is the national anthem of India written by the poet Rabindranath Tagore.
- The National Song of India is Vande Mataram.
- The National Flag of India is Tiranga, the official flag of the Dominion of India.
- The official currency of India is Indian rupee which is subdivided into 100 paise.
- India has 22 official languages including Assamese, Bengali, Bodo, Dogri, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri etc.
- India is a secular nation filled with so many religions like Islam, Christianity, Sikhism, Jainism Hinduism and Buddhism so the Government of India treats people of all religions with equal respect.
- India is rightly called the Land of Spices No other country in the world produces as many varieties of spices as India.
- Clothing in India varies from region to region depending on one part of the country to another based on geographical, climatic, ethnic, and cultural differences. i.e. Sari, dhoti or lungi, shalwar kameez, kurta–pyjama etc.
Architecture and Art Facts:
- The most popular example of Indian architectural evolution throughout history is the Taj Mahal, built by Mughal emperor.
- India is well known for its film industry known as Bollywood which is formerly as Bombay cinema.
- Indian art consists of a variety of art forms including painting, sculpture, pottery, and textile arts such as Wall painting, woven silk.
- Indus Valley civilization is the first known sculpture in Indian art.
- In India, there are many recognized classical dances traditions like Bharata Natyam, Kathak, Odissi, Manipuri, Kuchipudi, Kathakali and Mohiniattam.
- India has many popular historical places such as Red Fort, Taj Mahal, Qutub Minar, India Gate, Dholavira and Nalanda Jallianwala Bagh, Humayun’s Tomb, Hawa Mahal, Konark Temple, Konark, Mysore, Elephanta caves and many more.
- Varanasi is the holiest city in the world located in India.
Facts Sports about India:
- There are some popular sports which have originated in India such as Cricket, Chess, Snooker, Kabbadi and Khido Khund.
- Cricket remains the most-watched sport in India.
- The national game of India is Hockey.
- India won eight Olympic gold medals so from 1928 to 1956, was the golden period for the Indian Hockey team.
- The other most popular indigenous sport in India is Kabaddi. India has taken part in four Asian Games in kabaddi.
- Top popular sports in India played in India are football, basketball, chess, badminton, boxing, tennis, squash, gymnastics, athletics, Kho kho table tennis etc.
- Chess was derived from the Indian game in the 7th century.
- National Games of India is also known as the 35th National Games of India was held from 31 January 2015.
- India is the regular medal holder at the Asian Games and Commonwealth Games. And India won 69 medals at the Asian Games 2018.
Facts Related To Indian Food:
- India is rightly known as the Land of Spices, and It is the only producer of saffron in the world.
- Everyone is aware of the popularity of Indian food across the globe.
- Indian Food has 6 different flavours are sweet, salty, bitter, sour, astringent and spicy.
- Indian snacks are incomplete without chutney.
- Mithais (sweets) are an important part of Indian cuisine and celebrations.
- Payasam is one of the favourite sweet dishes of South India and most-served in wedding ceremony party.
- The Indian food system is classified into 3 categories which are Sattvic food, Raajsic food, Taamsic food.
- The most popular local drink in India is chai.