What is Intra-Uterine insemination (IUI)?
Intra-Uterine insemination (IUI) is the most popular ART techniques in the world. This process involves placing sperm inside a woman’s uterus to facilitate fertilization. The main goal of IUI is to increase the number of sperm that subsequently increases the chance of fertilization. IUI may be selected as a fertility treatment for the conditions: Low Sperm counts, hostile cervical condition, including cervical mucus problems, Cervical scar tissue, endometriosis. It is a less invasive and less expensive option compared to in vitro fertilization (IVF).
Facts About Intra-Uterine insemination (IUI)
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI) is a type of artificial insemination.
- Intrauterine insemination (IUI) involves an injection of washed sperm into the uterus.
- Selection of the best number of healthy and movable sperms increases success rates of IUI.
- It is a less invasive and less expensive option compared to in vitro fertilization.
- Intrauterine insemination is a simple and safe procedure having minor side effects like Infection, Spotting, Multiple pregnancies.
- The success of IUI depends on several factors of female age, the reason for infertility and fertility drugs used in the treatments.
- The most common reasons for IUI are low sperm count or decreased sperm mobility.
- According to the Studies, IUI success rates are enhanced if the woman also undergoes moderate treatment with medications.
- To take medication to stimulate the ovaries would be made in consultation with the IVF doctor.
- The beneficiaries of IUI Treatment are women who desire to give birth to their own child, who may be single, women who are in a heterosexual relationship.
- IUI is also advised to the Couples in whom only one partner is positive for HIV or Hepatitis B or C- where transmission.
- IUI can be done without any medicines with natural intercourse called as Natural Cycle IUI.
- Most women feel little discomfort during IUI but it should not be painful.
- The chance of success Rate of IUI varies like: In one IUI cycle, the chance of success is around 20-25%. Many couples conceive after 3rd or 4th cycle of IUI also. The chance of pregnancy after the 6th cycle is very low.
- There is no use of doing IUI beyond 6 cycles, and then IVF gives a better result.