What is In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)?
In vitro fertilization (IVF) is commonly known as IVF or Test Tube Baby has helped many infertility couples to conceive a child of their own. It is a process of assisted reproduction in which a man’s sperm and the woman’s egg are combined outside the body, in vitro (in glass). The embryo is then transferred to the woman’s uterus.
IVF is used to treat infertility in the patients having blocked or damaged fallopian tubes, low sperm count, women with ovulation disorders, genetic disorder, unexplained infertility. The success rate of In Vitro Fertilization(IVF) depends on a number of factors including reproductive history, maternal age, and the cause of infertility, age of the woman and lifestyle factors.
Facts About In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
- In-vitro fertilization (IVF) can help achieve pregnancy with infertility issues when other treatments have not worked.
- Literally, IVF means fertilization in a glass.
- Studies suggest that in vitro, fertilization is a safe process.
- IVF has been used since the Year 1970s.
- IVF doesn’t mean multiples pregnancy.
- Robert Edwards and Patrick Steptoe collaborated the procedure IVF.
- There are around 6 million babies have been conceived through IVF in the world.
- The first Test Tube Baby was Louise Brown who born in England in 1978.
- Daljinder Kaur is the world’s oldest mother with IVF treatment in 2016 at the age of 72.
- Now 1 in 50 babies ratio is born using IVF.
- Worldwide more than 10000 people go abroad each year for IVF treatment.
- According to a Research taking high protein and low carbohydrate diet can increase the IVF Success Rate.
- The success rate of IVF also depends on the age of the woman undergoing treatment. Younger women have a more successful pregnancy than older women with IVF.
- The first child born from donor egg was in 1983 in Australia.
- There are rare side effects of in vitro IVF.
- IVF is a costly treatment. But most of the infertility couples come to India for the lowest IVF cost treatment in India with the high success rate.